Friday 17 October 2008

The Law of Unintended Consequences

Two train and two bus rides in a day, however there is more to it. At Victoria Coach Station there was a major change. The striking French seamen caused the cancellation of my coach departure to Warsaw, three hours later i managed to find a coach that would accept my original National Express ticket. This now meant that my new schedule was going to be very tight if i was to make the transfer to the Moscow Express at Warsaw.
The frequent stops for long training sessions, by the huge, mixed Polish National Smoking Team, who were on board, or so it seemed, saw me slipping behind my required schedule.
After many vissitudes, with a last minute dash i arrived just in time to find the railway station closed, the rain pouring down; feeling abandonded in a strange city without a map, guide book, telephone number, or a word of the language at nearly midnight. Bugger the French!
The next morning, on my way back to the railway station i showed my useless railway ticket to the Polish taxi driver, who did not speak a word of English, but fortunately was fluent in Russian, which i am not. He being sharper than me, he noticed that today was the date of my ticket, not yesterday. Wow! The moral of the ''Law of Unindended . . '' is "Silly Old Fart".
Another thing also learned: Polish toilet paper is serrated on one side, just like a file. Be careful Rob.

3 comments:

Diana said...

Dadddd......what a silly old fart in deed!

raphe said...

Di: 'in deed' means 'in action' often contrasted with 'in thought'. Your 'indeed' is one word. Sorry couldn't resist. You can harangue me later. Though you never would have thought your father was a type-setter and proof-reader!

raphe said...

Serendipitous Dad!