Friday 1 January 2016

Camel Safari

I took an overnight train to Bikaner, Rajasthan, which is on the Pakistan border within the Thar Desert. The first thing I noticed, besides the desert sands and dryness, was the lack of colour, as everything is covered in dust and sand, giving a bleached, colourless, landscape in the city and countryside.
    I fixed up a trip into the desert with two dromedary camels, they have one hump and are the largest of the species.They stand about 6ft 6ins at the shoulder. I had a guide /cook and a trailer carrying the camping gear, food, water etc. The large wheel trailer was interesting because it had old aeroplane tyres on its wheels, which have a round profile and are far easier to pull with far less friction than conventional car tyres.
   I joined the safari at a village in the desert. Once I got the stirrups at the right length it was a gentle swaying to and fro motion, but unlike riding a horse, the neck could not be seen, a little like riding the Lock Ness monster, with the neck curving down and finishing up as a small head about 6 feet ahead of me. The smooth, large feet were soundless on the sand, the only sound was the jingle of little bells affixed to the front legs. These camels live for about 40 years and can go over a week without water.
   Standing up and setting down is when I had to hang on tightly by gripping tightly to avoid being pitched forward, or off the back.
   The absolute silence of the desert was so peaceful and the making of the fire as the temperature dropped quickly. A shawl on my back while gazing into the fire watching the meal being cooked. The highlight is the sleeping on my back gazing up at the star studded heavens, with no light pollution, staying snug from the cold breeze inside my sleeping bag. Later, the next morning, it was quite magical to go at a trot. One seemed to glide along in silence, looking down and seeing the massive feet touching the sand like a big flat sponge compressing to take the shock.













No comments: