Thursday 18 December 2008

"Things Fall Apart"

Nigerian author Chinua Achebe, who wrote "Things Fall Apart", the title was taken from a poem of W. B. Yeates, or as that Bushian buffoon, Donald Rumsfeld, said "things happen". Well, both have happened to me in Malaysia, as a result of Bangkok airport being closed for ten days and resulting complications to the whole of S. E. Asia, found me getting about ten days behind schedule. All possibility of me getting a boat from Singapore evaporated, its air fares were prohibitively expensive, when available. Kuala Lumpur, too, was in the grip of the fall out and also the time coincided with school holidays, so i retreated to Bangkok and said my prayers, which were answered, as i managed to get the proverbial "last seat" available on a budget airline, which took me to my objective, Melbourne. My overland quest had failed, however.

It has been an amazing adventure, especially after being grounded for five years, of people, places and explorations. The sense of freedom that i have gained has transformed my life and outlook. How i get back to "Old Blighty", is still an open question.

This is the occasion to thank all of my pals, who have been following the blog and especially those of you who sent emessages of encouragement and comment.

Thank you.

Have a peaceful and joyful New Year,

Do no harm,

Rob

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Rob
i am glad that you made it. i was sure of it.
how to get back to blighty?
who cares for the time being its summer time and the living is easy!!

gianni

Unknown said...

Hi Rob
met joyce(from ctc midweek section) on the 52 in heathfield today and was discussing getting to uckfield on the 318 and how much more distance you can achieve around the world after that!
Cec & Gill
ctc midweekers