Tuesday 9 November 2010

Auckland

One approaches Auckland low over the sea of Mapukau Harbour. The fresh green scenery of early spring comes into view, rolling hills, sea splashing onto the numerous beaches around. On disembarking into 20C, the intensity of the light makes you screw up your eyes, until I was able to fish out my sunglasses.
On my last two visits I had been arrested for carrying banned substances: sage, which is used to reduce the smell of old socks (I had flown in from Buenos Aires after travelling through Central America. The second time I had an apple core in my bag, which the sniffer dog had picked up). I was apprehensive as I had a packet of rolled oats for breakfast for the next few days and Marmite for an addict. This time I got the all clear.
The bus into the city followed a helter skelter route passing small, detached, old wooden clapperboard houses painted in a variety of pastel colours.
Paykel house, 42 St Stephens Ave, Parnell. Photo / Christine Cornege
Te Ana Lodge front

No comments: